Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween, Part 3

We were exhausted this evening after three days of Halloween -- that's three days in a row of kids staying out late, and eating at least one piece of candy before bed. Luckily we scored some popcorn (in a glove, with candy corn fingernails: a witch's hand!) and Cale went for it after one chocolate; Cale went cornhulio on candy two nights ago *shudder*. Cale fought off his nap this afternoon, so I was worried about taking him out, but he was fine; the main consequence was that he fell asleep quickly when we started the final bedtime routine!

While not as freakishly warm as last Halloween, the weather was surprisingly mild this afternoon, so we were outside until we noticed it was 5pm. We went to the First Baptist Church for their Trunk-or-Treat that started at 5:30pm. Wow! They had food (hot dogs for three of us, pumpkin muffins for Karston), they had games, and they had several dozen decorated trunks with candy. The kids had a great time! I think their favorite, though, was the apple peeling station. The boys ate half an apple just on the walk across the street to the car!

We were almost home when our neighbors (with two girls, each about one year older than each of our boys) called to say they had started to trick-or-treat, so we caught up to them to visit our own neighborhood. We had three adults and four kids for this outing, and Karston was very aware that the oldest girl got to walk on her own. Karston eventually gave me his candy basket and ran ahead to hold her hand (he was holding my hand, so I put Dale in charge of holding his hand). Mommy, Mommy, I'm a Dale boy now! Well, that wasn't quite what I meant, but Karston loved the big kid feeling, and I didn't worry as much as long as he was holding someone's hand. He even ran away from his candy basket to feel like a big boy running ahead of us three adults and the two youngest children.

1 comment:

Robyn Fisher said...

Hello. I'm with a non-profit organization called NetHope (see www.nethope.org). We've been around for nearly 10 years. I see that you own the Flickr site, http://www.flickr.com/people/nethope/. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind freeing up the "NetHope" part of your brand, and allowing us to use that URL. Let's discuss. You can reach me at robyn.fisher@nethope.org. Thank you.