Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Sleep Skills and First Food

We didn't make it a full week, but we had five days out of six of good sleep, starting on Karston's 6-month birthday. He was sleeping about five hours before nursing once in the middle of the night, and nursing again to wake up at 7 or 7:30 AM. After the first good night, we went to the pediatrician who said I shouldn't nurse Karston to sleep. I wasn't sure I wanted to mess with a routine that was finally working, but the following night, Karston wouldn't nurse before bed. So I set him down awake, and he's been going to bed without complaint and without nursing to sleep ever since! I guess he listened to his doctor!

I was really surprised he hasn't nursed at all just before bed because he's been voracious recently. He'll eat some rice cereal now, and we've had to supplement him with infant formula because I just can't keep up! He nurses when he can, and he has rice cereal mixed with formula when he's still hungry. In fact, he's finally doing well enough with the rice cereal, and with the spoon, that we gave him some applesauce today! So Karston's first food is applesauce because that was my favorite as a baby. He literally recoiled at the taste of it, but he loves the attention from Daddy, so he ate it anyway. (He won't take a spoon from me, and he stares pointedly at my chest while keeping his mouth shut. I have to put his formula and rice in a bottle.) In fact, he did so well on formula that I had to make an emergency run to the store today to get more! And so the food saga begins!

No comments: